The statements below reflect the general responsibilities and requirements of the identified position but may not describe all the work requirements that may be essential to the job.
- Job Summary:
The Employee Relations Specialist II will provide guidance and direction to managers and employees regarding non-complex, routine issues as part of the Employee Relations Center of Excellence (ER CoE) team. This position is an intermediate level position and is responsible for managing ER issues and case documentation. The ER Specialist II will also serve as an escalation point for complex workplace conflicts, concerns, and investigations. This individual will also be responsible for the coordination of leadership development programs offered by the CoE.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
Indicate positions accountability
_____ GLC/General Manager
_____ Department Head/Function Lead
_____ Manager of Managers
___X__ Individual Contributor
- People Responsibilities:
List the people-related essential functions of the position (complete for positions that directly or indirectly manage or supervise others)
Indicate the number of:
___0__ Direct Reports
___0__ Indirect Reports
¨ Number of direct and indirect subordinates (use ranges rather than exact numbers, with the ranges for direct reports being tighter than the ranges used for indirect reports)
List the work-related aspects of the position (complete for every position)
- Essential Job Duties:
- Advise and counsel managers on routine performance issues and early stage coaching with the intended goal of increasing manager expertise.
- May assist in resolving employee/manager issues before they escalate into more serious disagreements or performance issues.
- Lead managers in developing appropriate documentation to support the coaching process.
- Conduct ER investigations and consult with the ER Manager and Legal.
- Responsible for tracking and analyzing ER metrics.
- Advise on disciplinary and other formal processes in accordance with Covance policies and appropriate regulatory guidelines. (i.e. attendance issues, failure to follow SOPs, quality issues)
- Lead and/or participate in various employee relations projects and activities.
- Collaborate with HR Business Partners, Legal and Business Leaders to solicit feedback and make recommendations for the continuous improvement of the Employee Relations CoE.
- Contribute to communication and change efforts with HR, Legal, Business Leaders, Managers and Employees that support the vision and value of the Employee Relations CoE.
- Deliver and coordinate skill building training for managers.
- Manage less complex ER cases.
- Formal meeting coordination including interview note taking (if appropriate in jurisdiction).
- All other duties as required.
- D. Scope
- Describe scope of position (global vs. regional vs. domestic,
___X__ Domestic– Location(s) within a single country or neighboring countries with similar
_____ Regional– Continental Region (e.g. Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia, North America,
Latin America, Middle East)
_____ Global– All regions of the world
- Single vs. Multiple Business Units or cost centers
__X___ Covance wide
- Indicate the scope of financial responsibilities (Revenue and/or Budget responsibilities (if applicable)
__________ Annual Operating Budget
- Principal Contacts and Scope of Communications
List the people and functions the position is expected to directly interact with (state frequency of interaction).
Supervisors and Managers
Employees and contingent workers
ER Managers & Directors
Peoples Services Center Staff
External Compliance Agencies
HR Business Partners
Indicate the type of communication that will be expected in this role. Check the audience and
frequency of the communication (check all that apply).
Type of Communication
Strategic – Manage communications of great importance having long term implications
Negotiate– Come to agreement through discussion and compromise – short to medium impact
Influence– Effect change where persuasion is required – short term impact
Convey –Communicate information be statement, suggestion, gesture or appearance
- Travel Requirements: ____X___ Yes _______No
Identify the expected travel requirements of the position
Limited travel (up to 5%) to other hubs and/or field locations for training and/or to coach managers and/or investigate cases.
- Language Skills Required:
Identify any language skills required or preferred of the position
- Speaking: ___X___Yes ______No
- Writing/Reading: ___X___Yes ______No
English written and verbal. Depending on location may require additional language skills.
Level of education required (or experience level which may be substituted for level of education).
Professional designations/certifications/licenses required
- Undergraduate degree in business, human resources or related subject. Appropriate HR Certification desired dependent on jurisdiction.
- Proven HR and basic ER experience.
- Knowledge of relevant employment laws.
- Ability to interpret Covance policies and refer managers and employees to relevant policies, tools, documents, etc.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive issues.
- Skilled at prioritizing issues that are time-sensitive.
- Awareness of multiple HR disciplines and processes (i.e., compensation, benefits, talent acquisition).
- Competent with case management tools and Microsoft Office.
- Customer service focused.
- Proven organizational skills.
- Effective problem solving skills. Flexibility and willingness to deal with competing priorities and assist others as needed in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated patience, tact, and respect.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed