The Portfolio Manager (GSM) is expected to manage a portfolio of client studies and/or assume special assignments including but not limited to: department liaison, mentoring responsibilities, leading process improvement projects, leading initiatives with departmental impact and beyond, etc.
For the part related to managing a portfolio of studies, the duties and responsibilities are identical to those of a Sr. Global Study Manager:
1. Key contact for clients; Liaison between Clients, CRO, and Covance
2. Displays strong leadership to ensure successful interactions between Covance study team members needed to provide seamless study delivery to the client.
3. Provides project management oversight; focusing on key client deliverables through enhanced budget, risk, and milestone management.
4. Facilitates communications between Client and extended Covance study team, including Study Design Lead and Regional Study Coordinator.
5. Performs review of SOW to ensure quality implementation of client specifics and requirements.
6. Manages a portfolio of global, high-complexity studies; provides program oversight when necessary.
7. Acts as an ambassador on behalf of the client within Covance CLS and across Covance business units; exemplifies the concept of Signature Client Service through outstanding, personalized customer service skills
8. Ensures that all customer expectations are documented and acted upon in compliance with regulatory requirements
9. Demonstrates through appropriate self organization the ability to manage conflicting priorities and to make difficult decisions
10. Able to act efficiently in an environment with dynamic timelines and priorities
11. Accountable for the implementation, monitoring and reporting of performance metrics
12. Actively participates in Covance CLS development through continuous process improvement, quality and productivity
13. Work with appropriate internal and external personnel to understand the culture and pipeline of assigned clients
14. Demonstrates strong interpersonal and communication skills that will build strong internal and external relationships to ensure deliverables are on time and within budget
15. Displays appropriate self organization and ability to manage conflicting priorities
16. Participate in functional meetings (eg. CLFs) and provide input, keeping processes up to date
17. Comply with CCLS Global Project Management strategy
18. Support a culture of continuous improvement, quality and productivity
19. Other duties as assigned
For the part related to special assignments:
1. Serves as the point of contact for implementation of changes and communicating general information or concerns between the departments
2. Identify and resolve recurring issues that generate negative impact on quality, client delivery and Project management internal efficiency.
3. Define department strategy for the area assigned – current state and future state
4. Meet with assigned department representatives at least on a monthly basis; ensure that meeting minutes are kept updated and communicated to all concerned parties
5. SOP process review, work instructions and JobAids
6. Manage Knowledge Management System
7. Works globally with counterparts, identify and manage SME network as needed
8. Meet with the liaison group on regular basis
9. Leads and implements process improvements on behalf of Project Management department
10. Work with leadership team to build succession plan (sustainable process & talent identification) & responsible of training the successor
11. Other duties as assigned
12. Mentor assigned Project Management staff, including new comers in the department
13. Assists the training team with on-boarding and continuous learning and serves as Subject Matter Expert for training modules as assigned
14. Other duties as assigned
15. Acts as Project Management counterpart for Alliance Leaders (if assigned) or Account Executives for all operational related aspects of a clinical study, programs or accounts; if no Alliance Leader is assigned, the Client Lead is expected to interact with client contacts beyond operational matters (eg. strategic discussions, pipeline information, etc)
16. Demonstrate high level knowledge of study designs for the entire portfolio of assigned clients
17. Support all internal teams during client escalations and issues resolution; coordinate communication for issues affecting multiple protocols for assigned clients
18. Responsible for development and maintenance of assigned clients specific templates and guidelines
19. Responsible for shared knowledge process for items related to assigned clients
20. Define, report and manage Key Performance Indicators for the assigned clients or programs; communicate actions internally and ensure their implementation
21. Train Covance CLS team (including Global Study Leads, Global Study Managers, Regional Study Coordinators, and Client Coordinator Specialists) on assigned client specificities and ensure the quality of associated deliverables is achieved
22. Other duties as assigned
The Portfolio Manager is expected to interact with external clients regularly throughout all duties and responsibilities mentioned above.