Reporting to the Animal Welfare and Compliance Officer, the Primate Behavior Program Manager will be responsible for the
development and maintenance of industry leading global standards for nonhuman primates (NHP) behavior management that achieve measurable welfare enhancements and are aligned with study needs, for their effective deployment globally and for promoting these standards externally to Early Development (ED) customers.
This is a remote role and can be based in the US, EU, or APAC regions.
Essential Job Duties:
- Lead the development of NHP behavior scoring methods that are applicable during NHP acclimation, care and use at Covance sites globally in partnership with the global NHP welfare working group.
- Lead the development and analysis of NHP welfare performance measures including NHP behavior score and other indicators of animal welfare, in partnership in partnership with the global NHP welfare working group.
- Lead the development of global NHP behavioral management plans, policies, SOPs, guides and forms that deliver effective and globally harmonized NHP acclimation and preparation to studies, in partnership with the global NHP welfare working group.
- Establish a global training, competency and proficiency assessment program on NHP behavior assessment and management in partnership with Operations training teams. Provide training and mentoring to staff on NHP behavior assessment and management.
- Provide expert advice and recommendations to Operations and AWVS staff on NHP behavior management in the resolution of NHP behavior challenges.
- Monitor and prepare reports on the performance of NHP behavior management programs globally and escalate issues to the Animal Welfare and Compliance Officer (AWCO) in a timely fashion.
- Maintain contemporary knowledge and practical expertise on best practices in NHP behavioral management
- In partnership with Covance ED Marketing, conduct benchmarking analysis on industry practices regarding NHP behavioral management.
- Conduct scientific literature reviews on NHP behavior in relation to supply, housing, care, and use.
- Propose opportunities for continuing enhancement of NHP welfare through behavioral management to the AWCO and lead refinement projects.
- Actively contribute to NHP welfare working groups to share practices and learnings from quality issues.
- Provide training and mentoring for personnel involved in NHP socialisation, training and behavior management.
- Participating in client and NHP breeders/suppliers meetings in relation to NHP behavior as directed by the AWCO.
- Contribute to external 3Rs working groups related to NHP behavior as agreed with the AWCO
- Actively contribute to Covance culture of care initiatives in relation to NHP welfare.
- Contribute to NHP vendor welfare audits as a NHP behavior management expert when needed by the business.
- Propose and contribute to projects and collaborations with NHP breeders/ suppliers aimed at delivering increased efficiency and effectiveness of Covance NHP behavior programs.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience within the field of mammalian toxicology with at least the last 5 years working directly in the field of NHP welfare and behavior management.
- Demonstrate a proven track record and be recognized as an Industry expert in the field of NHP behavior management.
- Experienced in the development of Policy/SOP on NHP behavioral management.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed